YIELD: 8 servings / ACTIVE TIME: 5 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 2-24 hours
● 2 pounds flank steak
● ⅓ cup olive oil
● 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
● ⅓ cup soy sauce
● ¼ cup honey
● 2 teaspoons garlic powder
● ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the chimichurri sauce:
● ½ cup red or white wine vinegar
● 4 cloves garlic, minced
● 1 shallot, finely chopped
● ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
● ¼ cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
● 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
● ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
● ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
● Salt and freshly ground pepper
1.Preheat water bath to 134ºF (57ºC).
2.Whisk together the marinade ingredients and add to a large zip-top bag with the steak.
3.Seal bag using the displacement method.
4.Add to water bath and cook for 2-3 hours and up to 24.
Make the chimichurri sauce:
1.Combine vinegar, 1 tsp. salt, garlic, shallot, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
2.Stir in cilantro, parsley, and oregano and whisk in oil.
Finish the steak:
1.After cooking, remove the steak from the bag to a paper towel-lined plate and pat dry (but don’t wipe off the marinade).
2.Heat a grill or skillet until smoking hot and add steak.
3.Sear quickly on each side to get a nice dark crust.
4.Remove to a cutting board and slice against the grain into ½” slices.
5.Top with chimichurri sauce.